These are some of the recommended lodgings…most are always very affordable and several have favourable reviews from Pyrates staying in them (marked *). Prices vary, so always call the property to ask (even their websites may not be the best gauge).
We’ve had great success finding great rates and availability in many places through the site Booking.com – worth a try!
Transportation Tips: New Orleans (and Louisiana in general) being much older than most cities in North America, has shorter “blocks” – ye’ll be surprised how many places are in walking distance (especially around the French Quarter)! Across town the Streetcar is very affordable and a fun, historic ride (buses are available to get outside o’ downtown). PediCabs also offer an alternative for short trips around town. To get to Algiers, take the Canal St./Algiers Ferry from the foot o’ Canal St. (Pedestrians & Bicycles only, every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour, $2/ride, $1/65+). O’ course ye can drive, or take the bus, across the bridge (aka “Crescent City Connection”, US-90). There IS a vehicular Ferry, it’s over in Chalmette and lands in Lower Algiers…still a cheap trip, though at $2/vehicle+driver and $1/passenger).
In New Orleans
* French Quarter Hotel Collection – 1119 N. Rampart St. and several other properties (“New Orleans Courtyard Hotel” across from the French Quarter especially recommended) Visit Website for best rates, or call to reserve 800-457-2253
* Le Richelieu – 1234 Chartres St. – made up of two historic buildings (1845/1902), 86 deluxe, air-conditioned, non-smoking guest rooms, including 17 suites. All are individually and traditionally decorated with fine furnishings, artwork and brass ceiling fans. Amenities include hairdryers, irons and boards, refrigerators, voice mail and dataports, and remote control color TV with a selection of satellite channels. Secure, private parking on premises.Visit Website
* The Parisian Courtyard Inn – 1726 Prytania St., Lower Garden District (1 block from Avenue Pub & St. Charles Streetcar) Boutique Hotel/B&B/Guest House Built in 1846 by Rufus Mcllhenny of the Tabasco family! Mention referral from Polly Watts/Avenue Pub 1-877-581-4540 Visit Website
St. Charles Guest House – 1748 Prytania, just down the street from the Avenue Pub. Phone Joanne & Dennis for reservations 504-523-6556. Visit Website
* Wyndam Garden Baronne Plaza Hotel – 201 Baronne St. (1 block from French Quarter in the CBD), call to reserve 888-756-0083 Visit Website
The following locations are also suggested & affordable:
French Quarter Guest Houses – various addresses in the French Quarter – Reservations 1-800-535-7815 Visit Website
Dauphine House 1860 – 1830 Dauphine St. (2 blocks to French Quarter) Call to reserve 9am-9pm, 504-940-0943 Visit Website
Creole Inn & Suites – 2471 Dauphine St. (15 min. walk to Bourbon St.) Visit website
West Bank (across the river)
- Best Western Bayou Inn, 9008 Westbank Expressway, Westwego, LA 70094, (800) 780-7234 / (504) 304-7980 Visit Website (very friendly folks, free guest reception, free WiFi, free parking, Pool & Fitness Centre, close to Bayou Segnette National Park. A short drive to the city, but a great area to discover!)
- Federal City Inn & Suites – 740 Hebert St, New Orleans, LA (504-366-7408) Website
- Days Inn Gretna New Orleans – 100 Westbank Expressway , Gretna, LA (504-366-2361) Website
- Knights Inn Gretna New Orleans West Bank – 100A Westbank Expressway , Gretna, LA (504-648-2143) Website
- * Hotel Cazan – 401 6th Street, Mamou, LA (337-468-5100) Website
In Terrebonne Parish
- * Camp Dularge – 1917 Bayou Dularge Rd., Theriot, LA (985-851-7578) Website
- Quality Inn – 210 South Hollywood Road, Houma, LA 70360
- Ramada Inn – 1400 West Tunnel Boulevard, Houma, LA 70360
- Plantation Inn – 1381 West Tunnel Boulevard , Houma, LA 70360